Have you heard - Petty Fest is heading West! And yes, they're taking Jameson along for the ride as a sponsor. Echo Park, Calif. rock act Jenny O. will be among the impressive group of talent set to play, and as a performance pre-cursor, she's put together a list of the 10 things she likes most about the great Tom Petty. Whether it's his honest musicianship, his zero tolerance for bullshit, or his penchant for top hats, she's put together a list that's hard to argue with.
Jenny O. has been causing a stir within the LA music scene with her unique vocal styling, rugged acoustics, and folk-forward melodies. Aside from her stint at Petty Fest West in LA November 14-15, she'll be releasing a new album, Automechanic, on February 5.
Stream the album's title track above and check out her list below.
The PV List: Jenny O.'s "10 Things I Like About Tom Petty"
1. His honest tales of heartache, struggle, and triumph, in plain English. Always getting over someone in a really positive light.
2. He transcends time and the age/power paradigm. I first heard him after he released "Wildflowers" in 1994. He was 44 years old and releasing fresh radio hits that grab hold of a teenager's ears. There are no rules.
3. His "Fuck You, Giant Record Label" ways. A history of not-giving-in-to-the-man, suing for his publishing, writing about A&R bullshit...yet still working with labels in the end, as if, as long as everybody plays fair, we can work together.
5. He embraced the early music video era, making art for the sake of fun, as an extension of his [primary] craft. Some folks let video-making serve as advertising without truly jumping in, others obscure themselves...he is Tom Petty, and he is having a good time.
6. Unabashed quoting and stylings of Beatles, Dylan, and other royalty, made into his own. Writers will either shy away from their idol-nods or let them breathe. He embraces it all, evolves it, and shares the fruit with us.
7. Top hat motif: Only certain folks can really fill the top hat — a fancy symbol on a down-home kid, embodies the trickster.
8. Roots in Gainesville, Florida: American to the core, there is an intrinsic class thing here I am not prepared to wax on, but it renders him a hero.
9. "The Heartbreakers" — a group of real hometown friends with an ironic/iconic name. Legendary players.
10. His artful live performance and rock guitar playing.
Jenny O. - WellL OK Honey
Totally Fuzzy was the name, music discovery was the game.
It only took one braindead Google monkey to destroy almost 10 years of dedication...
The next round will be played on our own terms on
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
The Latest Posts
The best digest/summary of our posts is available here.